Chongqing Jiaotong University is a distinctive, multi-disciplinary university with a primary focus in transportation engineering. In 1951, in response to the call of Chairman Mao to build a road from Chengdu to Lhasa and develop Southwest China, the Southwest Military and Political Commission chaired by Deng Xiaoping, founded a school, which was then named Southwest Transportation Technological Academy. In 1960, the School was renamed Chongqing Institute of Communications by merging with the Civil Engineering Department of Chengdu Technological College, the Metallurgical Department of Sichuan Metallurgical College, and the Hydraulic Engineering Department of Wuhan Institute of Water Transportation Engineering. In 2000, the University was transferred from the Ministry of Transport to the Chongqing local government for administration and now it is under the joint administration of the Ministry of Transport and Chongqing Municipality. In 2006, it was again renamed Chongqing Jiaotong University, and listed as a doctoral degree conferring institution.
The school is located in Guangzhou, the core city of the Greater Bay Area of Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao, covering an area of 1753 mu. It has 14 experimental centers, including 5 basic experimental centers and 9 professional experimental centers, 271 laboratories, and 555 employment and practice bases. The university now has 1 provincial collaborative education platform, 7 provincial experimental teaching demonstration centers, 1 national off-campus practice base for college students, 8 provincial off-campus practice bases for students, and 2 national mass entrepreneurship spaces.